Easy Instant Pot Tomato Rice Recipe
I love one pot meals and Tomato Rice is one of the easiest to make and oh so delicious! Love the tangy garlicky flavor.
It’s a great recipe for busy days and I usually have it with a green salad and some Greek yogurt topped with berries or some Raita (see recipe below)
Table of Contents
Tangy Tomato Rice
Are you in search of an easy-to-cook, one-pot dish that’s rich in flavor and hearty?
Look no further than this delicious tomato rice recipe! With just a few simple ingredients, this dish is perfect for busy weeknights or for those who want to enjoy a home-cooked meal without spending too much time in the kitchen.
Ingredients For Tomato Rice Recipe
6 to 7 large tomatoes
2 medium-sized onions
10 to 12 chopped garlic pods
7 to 8 whole peppercorns
2 tsp chili powder
Neutral Cooking Oil:
4 to 5 tbsp of cooking oil (or ghee for a richer flavor)
4 bay leaves
2 cups of basmati or brown rice
1 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
3 cups water
Now you have the complete list of ingredients needed to make the delicious tomato rice recipe!
How do I make tomato rice?
To start, gather these ingredients for the tomato rice: 6 to 7 large tomatoes, 2 medium-sized onions, 10 to 12 chopped garlic pods, 7 to 8 whole peppercorns, 2 tsp chili powder, 4 to 5 tbsp of cooking oil (or ghee for a richer flavor), 4 bay leaves, and 2 cups of basmati or brown rice.
The cooking process is simple too! Just follow these easy steps:
- In a pot, heat up the oil and add the peppercorns. Wait until they start to splutter.
- Then add the onions and fry them until they turn translucent.
- Once the onions are ready, add the chopped garlic and fry that for 1-2 minutes or until the aroma of the garlic starts to come through.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, chili powder, and turmeric powder (if desired). Wait for the tomatoes to soften and for the water from the tomatoes to dry up before adding the rice. Stir for a little while longer to mix it all together.
- Add the water, close the pot with a lid, and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Serve the tomato rice and you could pair it with a yogurt relish called raita, see recipe below:
- Grate half a cucumber and add to 1 cup of whisked plain low-fat yogurt or Greek yogurt.
- Mix with some salt and black pepper, and some cumin powder for a wonderful flavor.
You can also dry roast some cumin powder till it darkens a bit and sprinkle it on top, it’s delicious!
Pro Tips for Preparing Tomato Rice
- For 1½ cups of basmati rice, 2½ cups of water are recommended for the pressure cooker, 3 cups for the regular pot, and 2 cups for the instant pot. Accordingly, you can increase or decrease the quantity of water.