Delight in the explosive medley of crispy happiness intertwined with an alluring blend of spices, creating a mouthwatering symphony of flavors in every delectable bite.
- 1 cup puffed rice or Rice Krispies cereal (Puffed rice is available in Indian grocery stores)
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced boiled potato
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 green chilli chopped (optional)
- 1/4th cup sev mix ( can buy in Indian grocery store or online- it’s crunchy savory chickpea noodles)
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons chaat masala powder( a flavorful spice blend available in Indian stores or online).
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or 1 teaspoon tamarind chutney
Step 1: Boil the Potatoes
- Start by boiling the potatoes until they are cooked and tender.
- Once boiled, let them cool slightly and then cut them into small cubes.
Step 2: Prepare the Ingredients
- In a mixing bowl, combine the following ingredients:
- Puffed rice (quantity of your choice)
- Boiled potato cubes
- Cucumber slices (chopped)
- Tomato (chopped)
- Onion (finely chopped)
- Fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
- Sev mix (crunchy fried noodles)
Step 3: Add the Spices and Flavors
- Sprinkle the following spices and flavors over the ingredients in the mixing bowl:
- Roasted cumin powder
- Chaat masala
- Black salt
- Red chili powder
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Mix everything together thoroughly, ensuring that all the ingredients are coated with the spices and flavors.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy
- Jhaal Muri is best enjoyed immediately after preparing it, before the puffed rice turns soggy.
- Serve it in bowls or paper cones for that authentic street food experience.
- Feel free to add roasted nuts if you’re a fan of them, for an extra crunchy and flavorful twist.
- Customize the ingredients and spices according to your taste preferences.
- Get creative with garnishes like fresh mint leaves or a drizzle of tamarind chutney for added flavor exploration.
You can make roasted cumin powder by dry roasting regular cumin powder for 10-15 seconds or till it gets fragrant and darkens a bit. Immediately transfer to a small glass bowl or heat-safe plate.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
Keywords: Spiced Puffed Rice