Enjoy this creamy, sweet, and luxurious rice pudding with nuts, saffron, and dried fruits.
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 2 cups Half and Half
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 2 Bay leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons golden or regular raisins (optional)
- 11/2 cups sugar
- A handful of pistachio nuts, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes, then drain well.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan bring the milk and half and half to a boil, stirring often. Add the bay leaves if using to the milk right at the beginning.
- Once the milk rises, lower the heat and add the washed drained rice. Cook on low or medium-low for about 10 minutes stirring often.
- Now add the raisins if using and the sugar and keep simmering the milk on low so the rice cooks.
- Keep stirring often so the pudding doesn’t catch at the bottom and burn.
- Cook for about 30 minutes on low, uncovered, stirring frequently.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the cardamom powder and the crushed pistachios.
You can substitute pistachio with slivered almonds.
Adding saffron to Payesh imparts a lovely nutty taste and beautiful color.
You can substitute Basmati RIce with Arborio RIce, it also works very well.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
Keywords: rice kheer, Payesh, Indian rice pudding, Indian dessert, special occasion Indian dessert