Delightful Pista Barfi
Discover Pure Joy with Pista Barfi
Get ready to embark on a delightful journey to pistachio heaven with the irresistibly tempting Pista Barfi!
This exquisite Indian sweet showcases the rich, creamy texture of barfi infused with the nutty goodness of pistachios (and almonds).
Every luscious bite is delightful and indulgent as the vibrant green pistachios come together with aromatic spices and a touch of cardamom.
Indulge in this heavenly treat that will transport your taste buds to a realm of pure bliss.
What is Pista Barfi?
Ever visited an Indian grocery store and seen these pretty green diamond-shaped sweets? Those are pista barfi and they are pretty easy to make and enjoy at home!
“Pista” is a word of Persian origin that is commonly used in many Indian languages, including Hindi meaning pistachio. And Barfi indicates a square or diamond-shaped sweet in India.
Check out this rose barfi recipe, also extremely delicious and follows pretty much the same cooking process.
Pistachio – If you have the opportunity to sample the nuts before purchasing them, take a bite and look for a vibrant green hue within since this is usually a strong indication that the pistachio is ripe and flavorful.
Almonds – Almonds make the barfi even tastier.
Milk Powder – Indulge in the creamy goodness of milk powder, which adds a velvety texture to this delectable sweet.
Sugar – Sweet without sugar is simply unimaginable; it’s the essential ingredient that provides the perfect balance to the flavors.
Ghee – Ghee, the golden elixir of Indian desserts, serves as the foundation for this masterpiece, enhancing the taste and giving it a rich, buttery undertone.
Cardamom powder – Delight your senses with the aromatic essence of cardamom, infusing the sweet with its unique blend of sweetness and spice.
Water – The essential element for the sugar syrup we will need to make.
Food Color (Green) – Unleash the vibrant green color that epitomizes pista barfi and tantalizes your eyes as well as your taste buds with its visual appeal.
Step-by-Step Guide to Creating the Perfect Pista Barfi
Soak and Blend the Nuts
1. Soak the almonds in hot water for 30 minutes, then gently peel off the skin. Pat dry the almonds using a paper towel.
2. In a grinder, finely grind 3/4 of the amount of almonds and all the pistachios together to create a luscious nut powder. Roughly chop the remaining 1/4 of the almonds and keep aside.
Prepare the Sweet Syrup
1. In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water, bringing it to a gentle boil until it transforms into a sumptuous, thick syrup.
Infuse the Creamy Mixture
1. Into the saucepan with the sweet syrup, add the powdered nuts, milk powder, cardamom powder, and a generous amount of ghee to enhance the richness of the mixture.
2. For that classic green hue, blend in the desired amount of food coloring and stir until the mixture is well combined.
3. Introduce the chopped almonds and pistachios into the mix, ensuring they are evenly spread throughout the creamy concoction.
Cook to Perfection
1. Continue stirring the mixture over medium heat until it thickens and starts to separate from the sides of the pan, forming a smooth, velvety texture.
Shape and Set
1, Line a tray with parchment paper, greasing it with ghee to prevent sticking. Carefully pour the mixture onto the tray and distribute it evenly. Garnish with some additional sliced almonds if desired.
2. Place the tray of Pista Barfi in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes but preferably for 2 hours, allowing it to cool and set.
1. Once the Pista Barfi has cooled and solidified, use a sharp knife to create the classic diamond shape, known for its elegance and traditional appeal.
2. Indulge in the heavenly flavors of your homemade Pista Barfi and savor each delightful bite.
Unlock the Secrets to Mastering Pista Barfi with these Expert Tips!
Preparing Pista Barfi is an art form and requires meticulous attention to detail. Elevate your Pista Barfi game and follow these expert tips to ensure you create the perfect dessert every time.
Tip #1 – Choose only fresh nuts
Freshness is key when it comes to the nuts used in Pista Barfi. Opt for quality, fresh nuts.
Tip #2 – Grind the nuts finely
For a smooth and silky texture, grind the nuts used in the recipe into a fine powder. This will help achieve a consistent texture throughout the dessert.
Tip #3 – Use an appropriate pan
To ensure a smooth cooking experience I would recommend using a good quality non-stick pan.
Tip #4 – Cook the mixture slowly and stir constantly
The base mixture of the Pista Barfi must be cooked slowly over low heat to prevent it from burning and forming lumps. It’s essential to stir the mixture consistently to achieve a smooth and cohesive texture.
Tip #5 – Refrigerate the mixture
Once the ingredients have been combined, it’s vital to refrigerate the mixture to help it set and maintain its shape. For best results, refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours but no less than 30 minutes.
Tip #6 – Cut into Diamonds
When setting the cooled mixture, it’s traditional to cut it into diamond shapes. Use a sharp knife to create clean, precise cuts for a visually appealing and authentic-looking Pista Barfi.
Instructions to cut Pista Barfi into diamond shapes
- Firstly, take the cooled Pista Barfi mixture out of the refrigerator and remove it from the tray.
- Place the Pista Barfi block on a cutting board face down and peel off the parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut through the Pista Barfi lengthwise, forming parallel lines of about 2-3 cm apart.
- Cut through the Pista Barfi widthwise, forming diagonal lines across the parallel lines. This will create a diamond shape.
- Remove the small square pieces of Pista Barfi from the corners of the diamonds.
- Gently lift each diamond-shaped piece of Pista Barfi and transfer it to a serving platter.
- Repeat the process until you have cut all the Pista Barfi pieces into diamond shapes.
Cutting Pista Barfi into diamond shapes can be a bit tricky, so ensure that you use a sharp knife to make clean and precise cuts. Keep in mind that the thickness of each diamond-shaped piece will depend on the size to which you cut the mixture. As an additional tip, dip your knife in water and then dry it before making the cuts. This can help prevent the Pista Barfi from sticking to the knife and ensure clean cuts. Enjoy!
Remember the diamond shape is for aesthetical purposes only. You can most certainly cut this barfi in regular square shapes as well.
Now you’re on your way to creating your perfect Pista Barfi!Print