Peas Pulao is a delectable and easy rice dish made with peas and aromatic spices.
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 1 cup white Basmati rice
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 5–6 black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 strands mace
- 1 teaspoon sugar or non-caloric monkfruit sugar
- 1 tablespoon ghee or cooking oil
- 4 cups water
Prep and Cook Rice
- In a pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Stir gently and cook the rice until it is done but still firm and drain the water out. For more detailed instructions on how to cook Basmati rice perfectly read this.
Prepare Flavor Base
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee or oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add all the whole spices.
- Fry the seeds for 30 seconds until they become fragrant.
- Add 1 small finely chopped onion to the pan and fry until it turns golden brown.
Add Ginger and Garlic
- Add 1 teaspoon each of minced ginger and garlic to the pan.
- Fry the mixture for 1 minute to release the flavors.
Add Rice and Salt
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pan and mix well.
- Gently add the pre-cooked rice to the pan and mix it with the seasoning mixture.
Add Peas and Herbs
- Stir in 1/2 cup of frozen peas, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint leaves, and 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Mix the peas and herbs well with the rice mixture.
Cook and Serve
- Cover the pan and let it cook for 2 minutes to allow the peas to soften.
- Remove the pan from heat and use a fork to fluff the rice.
- Serve the Peas Pulao hot as a standalone dish or with your choice of side dish.
See Pro Tips
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Indian main course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Peas Pulao, rice dish, vegetarian pulao