Kerala Chicken Stew: A Delightful Blend of Flavors
Table of Contents
Fragrant Coconut Chicken Stew
This fragrant coconut chicken stew is a delightful blend of flavors that is sure to impress your taste buds.
The base of this curry is made of coconut milk, which adds a creamy richness to the dish that complements the aromatic blend of spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and bay leaf.
What is Kerala Chicken Stew?
This coconut-infused chicken stew is made with bone-in chicken chunks or boneless chicken pieces cooked in a sweet and caramelized onion base that’s laced with a ginger and garlic aroma.
For a touch of heat, add 2-3 green chilies and optional black pepper powder will add a warm depth of flavor.
Add in some potatoes and carrots or a range of your preferred vegetables, and cook it to perfection with aromatic coconut oil.
Notable Ingredients At A Glance
Title: Fragrant Coconut Chicken Stew: A Delightful Blend of Flavors
- Chicken: Use bone-in chicken chunks or boneless chicken pieces for optimal flavor absorption.
- Onion: Adds a nice caramelized and sweet flavor to the stew.
- Vegetables: Choose from potatoes, carrots, beans, green peas, cauliflower, or other preferred vegetables.
- Ginger & Garlic: Crushed ginger and garlic enhance the aroma of this stew.
- Green Chilies: Adds a slight spice; adjust the quantity and remove seeds for a milder taste.
- Spices: Includes cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, black peppercorns, star anise, and bay leaf..
- Coconut Milk: Thick or light coconut milk can be used.
- Black pepper powder: Optional, but adds an extra layer of flavor.
- Coconut Oil: Authentic taste is achieved using coconut oil for cooking.
Note: Feel free to customize the vegetables and spices to your liking for a personalized twist on this delicious coconut chicken stew.
How To Make Kerala Chicken Stew
Heat the coconut oil in a wok or pan.
Add bay leaves, star anise, cloves, peppercorns, and green chilies. Cook for 1 minute.
Next, sauté the sliced onions, with salt, and ginger-garlic paste until the onions are tender. (Please note that the onions do not need to be fried for the stew.)
Mix in the chicken pieces, then the carrots and potatoes. Combine everything thoroughly. Mix everything again with freshly ground pepper.
Cook for 7 to 8 minutes with the lid on on medium heat. Cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, then add the coconut milk and cover.
The tasty chicken stew is ready to serve. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves if desired.
Enjoy hot chicken stew with rice, or flatbread!
Pro Tips For Preparing Kerala Chicken Stew
- Mutton can be used in place of chicken, or it can be made purely vegan.
- For a more intense flavor, marinate the chicken in a mixture of crushed ginger, garlic, and spices before cooking.
- Adjust the spiciness level by adding more or fewer green chilies, or including some chili powder or red pepper flakes.
- Remove the whole spices from the stew before serving. Crack the whole peppercorns in a mortar and pestle before adding.
- Add a squeeze of lime or lemon juice at the end to brighten up the flavors.
- Garnish the stew with fresh cilantro or chopped scallions for added freshness and a pop of color.
- Make a double batch and freeze leftovers for a quick and flavorful meal on a busy day.