Quick & Easy Indian Butter Chicken Masala Recipe
It’s safe to say that Butter Chicken Masala is one of the most popular Indian curry dishes worldwide!
It’s a comforting and creamy curry dish that combines chicken cooked to perfection in a rich tomato-based sauce, all infused with aromatic Indian spices, and buttery goodness, for delectable decadence.
Here is my simple weeknight recipe to recreate your favorite Indian take-out chicken dish at home quickly and easily, with no marinating required!
The traditional way of cooking Butter Chicken Masala requires marinating the chicken for a few hours if not overnight.
Imagine pieces of chicken in an aromatic, delicately spiced, creamy toamto baed curry sauce that tastes like the Butter Chicken Masala you love to eat in restaurants!
This yummy dish is packed with protein, loaded with antioxidant spices, and is low in carbs. Enjoy with rice, and a salad for a mouth-watering lunch or dinner!
Table of Contents
- Why is it Called Butter Chicken Masala?
- Ingredients for Butter Chicken Masala
- How do I Make Butter Chicken Masala?
- Tips for Making Scrumptious Butter Chicken
- Butter Chicken Masala Recipe
Why is it Called Butter Chicken Masala?
Butter Chicken, traditionally known as murgh makhani in India, is a type of curry made from chicken with a spiced tomato and butter (makhan) sauce.
Traditionally, Butter Chicken stems from the generous use of butter (makhan) in its preparation, giving the curry its distinct rich and creamy texture. We have now moved to using heavy cream in the recipe and topping the curry with a generous pat of butter. Some use butter instead of cooking oil for the intial steps of sauteing onions adn spices.
Ingredients for Butter Chicken Masala
Use skinless boneless chicken thighs or boneless chicken breasts. I usually used chicken breast and dice is small.
For the curry base.
In other words minced ginger and garlic.
Tomato Sauce and Ketchup
Low salt canned tomato saucet’s and organic tomato ketchup as it has the perfect blend of sweet, salty, and tart and adds a little something extra to the dish.
Cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masalaa and dried fenugreek leaves (aka kasuri methi)
Butter chicken, in the way we will prepare it does not require a lot of butter. The smooth tomato sauce, and the cream provide the butteriness. You’ll need a pat as garnish for the dish.
A fistful of finely chopped cilantro makes the dish smell and taste even more delicious!
How do I Make Butter Chicken Masala?
Butter Chicken Masala is perfect for spicing up a cozy night in or brightening a weeknight dinner.
So, let’s get cooking!
1. First, we’ll set the mood by heating up some oil in a trusty kadai or a wide, deep pan with a lid, over medium heat.
2. Next, let’s add our lovely onions and garlic, giving them a good swirl for 2-3 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and the onions become beautifully translucent.
3. Now it’s time for some spice magic! Mix in your aromatic turmeric, cumin, coriander, and chili powders, sautéing for a minute to bring out their flavors. Remember, a little splash of water can save your spices from becoming too clingy to the kadai!
4. Let’s keep the party going! Stir in ginger, garam masala, and a pinch of salt, sautéing for 30 seconds so that they mingle with our other guests.
5. Time to welcome our star, the chicken! Add it in, let it saute for a minute, and follow up with tomato sauce and ketchup for that perfect saucy goodness. Don’t forget to combine well!
6. Now, for the ultimate flavor melding, let your beautiful creation simmer on low heat for 2-3 minutes, giving it a little attention with the occasional stir. ?
7. Finally, add some dried fenugreek leaves, and the heavy cream and let your masterpiece cook away covered on low for 7-10 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
As a grand finale, adorn your scrumptious creation with a pat of butter and some finely chopped cilantro, and serve it up warm and enjoy!
Tips for Making Scrumptious Butter Chicken
Transform your kitchen into a five-star Indian restaurant with these insider tips. Here’s how you can elevate your Butter Chicken game:
Tip #1: Cut Your Chicken Breast into Bite-Size Pieces: For melt-in-your-mouth results, take the time to dice your chicken breast into small pieces. This allows your flavors to permeate the meat, making it extra juicy and flavorful.
Tip #2: Use Fresh Ingredients: Get the best quality spices and the freshest ingredients you can find. Fresh garlic, ginger, cilantro, heavy cream, and good quality garam masala (I use Pioneer Coop Garam Masala), go a long way for the taste.
Tip #3: Don’t omit the kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)-that is a key ingredient in this dish. You can buy dried kauri methi from Amazon, any brand will do.
Tip #4: Take Your Time: Do not rush the cooking process. This dish benefits from slow and low heat. This allows the flavors to meld together and seep deep into the chicken. While simmering if the sauce seems too thick you can add a little water to thin it
Tip #5: Presentation Matters: Just like a celebrity on the red carpet, your Butter Chicken deserves to look its best. Garnishing with a splash of cream and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro can take your dish from everyday to gourmet.
Tip #6: Pairs Well With Naan or Rice: Remember to serve your Butter Chicken alongside some warm Naan bread or fluffy basmati rice. It’s the perfect way to sop up all that rich and flavorful sauce. You can buy naan from an Indian grocery store, Costco, or even your local grocery store. I don’t usually make it and just prefer to buy it when I’m in the mood.
There you have it, friends! Keep these tips in mind next time you cook this beloved dish, and you’ll be savoring restaurant-style Butter Chicken right at home. Happy cooking! ?Print